Black pepper – everything you need to know about the King of spices. Besides its culinary uses, this wonderful spice has got a number of medicinal properties. Therefore it is an important herb as well, that we can use against ailments. Especially combined with other ingredients, according to the nature of diseases.
This wonderful herb has got an important place in Ayurveda. Different medicines are prepared, with black pepper as the main ingredient.
Undoubtedly, these medicines give positive results in most ailments.
Black pepper everything to know- medicinal properties.
- We can use it as an effective remedy for respiratory disorders. Preferably, mixed with ginger and pure organic honey.
- Of course, consuming moderate quantities of pepper, can prevent indigestion. Surely, the intake of black pepper that we add in dishes, can meet our needs.
- Piperine, the alkaloid present in black pepper has got many health benefits. For this reason, it is widely used for making medicines. Mostly, for the treatment of life style diseases like hypertension, diabetes etc.
- Besides, it can slow down the premature aging of the brain.
- In a like manner, its anti-inflammatory properties help reducing arthritis with joint pain and swelling.
- For tooth ache as well as our oral health in general, we can use its preparations.
- Above all, studies have proved its anti oxidant properties.
- However, before using it as a medicine, you must seek advice from experts. Especially, for the directions regarding usage, side effects etc.
Black pepper based home remedies
Usually we use different combinations of black pepper, as home remedies. For example
- Crushed pepper corns – 1/2 tsp
- Crushed ginger – 1 inch piece
- Rock salt – a pinch
- Buttermilk – 1 glass
You can consume after mixing all the ingredients together in a glass.
To increase appetite
- Black pepper powder -1/2 tsp
- Jaggery – 1tsp
Mix the above ingredients together, and consume it for increasing appetite.
Cough and cold, preferably in cold season
- Black pepper powder – 1tsp
- Holy basil leaves a handful
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Pure organic honey – 2tsp
- Water – 2 cups
Add the first three ingredients to water in a pan, and bring it to boil. After that, filter the decoction, add honey and consume it warm.
Nasal congestion and sinusitis
For this, first boil a pinch of pepper powder and a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Then inhale the vapour, and you will surely get relief.
Given above, are a few examples of home remedies popular in Kerala. Always remember, that these are not alternatives for medication. Normally there are no side effects for most of these, and hence you can try it.
Certainly you must seek medical advice, if necessary.
Rarely, black pepper may cause side effects in some people. Mainly, its hot and pungent nature can cause burning sensation in the stomach. Likewise, the presence of oxalate, increases the chances of forming kidney stones.
How to grow
Definitely, black pepper is one of the main cash crops of Kerala. Surprisingly, Idukki and Wayanad districts in the western ghat regions, are the largest producers.
We can grow black pepper plants easily in tropical climates.
Generally, these shade loving creeping vines need supporting trees to climb on. Usually, pepper plants can thrive in a well drained loamy medium, enriched with humus.
Bush Pepper plants
Definitely, we can grow black pepper in pots, as an ornamental plant. These are popularly known as bush pepper.
When compared to vines, there are many advantages of growing bush pepper plants.
Ordinarily, pepper corns are harvested once in a year. On the other hand, we can collect fresh pepper corns year around, from our potted plants.
It can make your garden really awesome. Mostly, along with other flowering and non-flowering plants.
You can read more here the simple tips for growing bush pepper plants in pots.
It should be noted, that Pepper plants need bright but indirect sunlight. Therefore, your balconies are ideal for keeping the potted pepper plants. Particularly like indoor plants that need only minimum sunlight. For example, the Spider plant, ZZ plant, Aglaonema, Snake plant, Money plant, etc.
Also it will be really awesome, to keep your bush pepper plants along with a few bonsai trees.
Generally the fresh pepper corns before drying, are known as green pepper.
Delicious Kerala dishes
In Kerala, we make different tasty dishes, that are flavoured with green pepper.
Surely you can try it on your visit to Kerala, God’s own country.
Given below is the simple recipe, for my favourite green pepper potato stew. Of course, it will make a wonderful breakfast with appam, idiyappam, chappathis etc.